TheLoveJunkee

Caught in a FAB Romance (@TheLoveJunkee)

Only by Helenkay Dimon

PJ header

PJV Quickie: I did not realize going in that this was the 2nd book in the series, so for most of the book I felt a bit lost about character histories and motivations. I think if I had read the 1st book, Mercy, I would have enjoyed it much more.

Review:

Sebastian "Bastian" Jameson is a high-powered attorney who's recently suffered a very public divorce.  After their divorce, his ex-wife wrote a sex manual about having threesomes that has hounded Bastian's personal and public life since it was published.  He's surrounded himself with a loyal group of friends and associates who happen to have certain talents and backgrounds with government agencies.  When Kyra Royer proposes a sex-only relationship, Bastian is conflicted:  on one hand, her older brother is one of his closest friends, and the type of man who you want to stay on his good side; on the other hand, Kyra is sexy and smart and he'd be a fool to say no.

When a new client causes the government to take notice of Bastian and his associates, he realizes Kyra might be in danger and he'll have to stop lying to himself and admit his feelings if he wants to keep her safe.

~~~~~

As I mentioned in the PJV Quickie, I didn't realize this was the second book in the Holton Woods series; I thought it was a stand-alone title. Because of that, I spent a lot of time wondering what the heck was going on. There are a lot of bad feelings between several of the important characters and while I figured out there was some sort of spy thing going on, I don't know enough specifics to know why the CIA wants to kill them.  Also, Kyra's dad is some sort of criminal who forced her to work his cons and is back in her life and making her miserable, but I think I'm missing some of that backstory too.

Don't get me wrong, there is definitely some interesting stuff going on in Only.   Kyra is a great character who says what she wants and doesn't let Bastian's big personality overshadow hers.  They're a good couple with great chemistry together.  I also loved the scenes between Kyra's brother, Wade, and one of Bastian's employees, Eli - they are HOT together, even when they're denying their continued attraction to each other.  Super-hot.  the nightclub that Kyra works at (and Bastian is a member of) was interesting; I like the idea of a private gentleman's club and what goes on with the high-profile members.

So, I think only because I didn't read the first book I couldn't really connect with the characters as well as I wanted to, and that's my fault; unfortunately I requested this title for review not realizing there was so much background.  Imagine walking into the middle of a movie that your friend has been watching and having to ask questions about what's happening onscreen and who's who and how they're related to each other - that's basically what happened to me here.  I will be trying other titles by this author because I did enjoy her writing style; the story had a good flow and didn't jump around awkwardly, and the characters were interesting (even though I was confused).

Recommendations:

Recommended for fans of May/December romance and political intrigue/government conspiracies.

PJ new signature