TheLoveJunkee

Caught in a FAB Romance (@TheLoveJunkee)

Echoes of Scotland Street by Samantha Young

Echoes of Scotland Street: An On Dublin Street Novel - Samantha Young
PJ header

PJV Quickie: Echoes of Scotland Street is another captivating entry in the On Dublin Street series. Readers who have been waiting for Cole's story will not be disappointed; I love, love, love grown-up Cole!

Review:

I have loved Cole Walker (Jo's younger brother in Down London Road) every time he appeared as a secondary character in this series, and was really excited that he's finally getting his own book.  I was not disappointed. As we know from On Dublin Street, Cole and Jo's mother was an abusive alcoholic. Although she's dead now, her abuse left emotional scars that haven't healed. Now an adult, Cole manages a successful tattoo parlor, INKarnate, in Edinburgh and has stayed close to his sister and their circle of friends.  He remembers the cute new receptionist from a chance meeting almost 10 years before; he'd never been able to forget that brief moment of enchantment he felt.

Shannon MacLeod has had a string of bad boyfriends.  Her last relationship ended with serious injuries and tore her family apart.  Now she's in Edinburgh for a clean slate and a new start, and landed a job as a receptionist at INKarnate.  With her string of bad relationships behind her, she's determined to avoid Cole and all his tattooed, bad-boy hotness.

~~~~~~~

Okay, here's the thing:  I love stories that showcase characters who don't have a great family and therefore surround themselves with a family of their own making - loving, supportive friends who you would do anything for, and would do anything for you.

Shannon and Cole had a rough start, as she was trying to push him away and at one point had succeeded, but their friends could see what they couldn't - that they were perfect for each other.  There were some bumps in the road, but I thought the author handled them beautifully, real life is not smooth and trouble-free, and family is always a sure thing for creating some of those bumps.  I actually wish that Echoes of Scotland Street had been a little longer, my only niggle was that I felt like the "go big or go home" came a little too quickly.

Echoes of Scotland Street can easily be read as a stand-alone, the characters from the other books are there, but their stories are not integral to this story.  Honestly, if you pick up Echoes of Scotland Street first, you'll probably want to immediately turn around and read the rest of the series!

Recommendations:

Fans of contemporary romance, tattooed heroes, and family drama should enjoy Echoes of Scotland Street; I know I did.

PJ new signature