TheLoveJunkee

Caught in a FAB Romance (@TheLoveJunkee)

Dirty Rowdy Thing by Christina Lauren

Dirty Rowdy Thing - Christina Lauren
PJ header

PJV Quickie: Mmmmm.... Oh, sorry! What was that? That's the noise I make when I read a deliciously dirty book.  And that's exactly what Dirty Rowdy Thing is - an absolutely delicious, totally sexy read.  Hot Canadian Fishermen just topped my list of heroes I want to read more about!

Review:

In Sweet Filthy Boy, Harlow Vega and Finn Roberts were married for 12 hours after a sexy Vegas hookup. After the quickie annulment, they both went back to their lives; Harlow is an intern for NBC in San Diego, Finn is a commercial fisherman in Vancouver. Despite one quick hook-up after their divorce, Harlow and Finn have a mutual dislike for each other.

Now, Harlow's mother is sick, and she needs to stay occupied so she's not spending all her time worrying about her mom.  Finn's family's fishing business is in trouble, and he's in San Diego trying to figure out how to keep the business afloat. What they both need is a diversion from their troubles, a sexy distraction, if you will...

~~~~~

By the end of Sweet Filthy Boy I was looking forward to Harlow and Finn's story.  I have to be honest, it's not what I expected... and I loved it! They start off slightly antagonistic towards each other but can't deny the sex was amazing, and since they both need a diversion from obsessing over problems they can't immediately solve, they agree that sex is a good way to achieve that goal.

First of all, the sex is hot and dirty. There might be ropes involved, Finn is a fisherman, after all. I hear they're good with rope*winks*. But it's not just the sexy scenes that kept me turning the pages - Finn and Harlow were genuinely interesting characters who were both in difficult situations and I felt bad for them both.  Then, to watch as their relationship grew from sex to something else, was captivating.  As they realize their initial observations about each other may not have been correct, and that they actually like each other *gasp!*.  This is exactly why I choose to read Romance - I love the ups and downs of the relationship, the slow hints of something special, a conclusion that makes your heart happy:  Dirty Rowdy Thing made my heart happy.

Romance aside though, the characters in Dirty Rowdy Thing were entertaining - from Oliver's comic book shop and his employee, Not-Joe, to Finn's hunky brothers, to Harlow's parents, the story as a whole was engaging and fun.  I felt like I could have been sitting with the group at "The Regal Beagle" or walking onto the dock with Harlow. The scenes relating to Harlow's mother's illness were powerfully written and emotionally touching.

I'm going to lay it all out here:  I didn't really care for the first book in Christina Lauren's Beautiful Bastard series, and if Rachel (Parajunkee) hadn't talked me into a joint review of the second book in that series, I would have left it at that and assumed Christina Lauren books weren't for me.  I'm so glad she talked me into that review, because since then I've gone on to read and enjoy the rest of that series, and I'm loving the Wild Seasons series even more.  Thanks Rachel!

Recommendations:

If you're looking for a sexy contemporary with a solid story, believable characters, and an ending that will leave you smiling, Dirty Rowdy Thing may be just what you're looking for.

PJ new signature