TheLoveJunkee

Caught in a FAB Romance (@TheLoveJunkee)

You Really Got Me by Erika Kelly

PJ header

PJV Quickie: I have a weakness for Rock-Star heroes, but sometimes it feels like I really have to dig to find the gems.  You Really Got Me is one of the gems:  with just the right amount of rock-industry lifestyle, sexual chemistry, angst, and romance, You Really Got Me really grabbed me.

Review:

Emmie Valencia is a personal assistant for a record label bigwig.  She's been working with him for eight years and what she really wants is a promotion and to go find new bands.  When a disagreement lands her in Austin for six weeks, she arranges to live with her brother and his band, Snatch. Snatch is big on the college scene but they want to go national.  Emmie has a few tips and offers to help them work on getting signed.

Slater Vaughn is the carnally sexy front man and songwriter for Snatch.  He's got a reputation as a raging man-whore, but his passion is writing songs and playing his music and he's focused on getting the band noticed by a label.

Emmie has 'been there, done that' with a rockstar boyfriend, and he broke her heart.  She's vowed to stay far away from all the sexyness that is Slater and concentrate on finding 'the next great band'.  Slater isn't interested in a girlfriend that's only going to complicate his dream of musical success and superstardom.  No matter how hard they fight the attraction, they both seem to click, even though a relationship between them would be doomed before it started.

~~~~~~~

You Really Got Me was a surprise hit for me.  I've been let down a few times with Rock Star heroes, and I'm so glad I took a chance on You Really Got Me - you know how sometimes a book just grabs you from page 1? Yup, that's exactly what happened here. I like Ms. Kelly's writing style; her characters were interesting and I liked the overall flow of the book.  She really hit just the right balance of industry lifestyle, sexy stuff, and relationships (not just the H/h relationship, but their lives before they met).  I was never bored or felt like skimming ahead.

I love a good romance where there's a breakup and both parties are miserable -Love it! And in You Really Got Me the angst and uncertainty between the hero and heroine was well done, both towards each other and involving other people in their lives.  I definitely closed the book wanting more, and am already making grabby hands for the next book in the series, I Want You To Want Me.

Recommendations:

If you like Kylie Scott's Stage Dive series or Olivia Cunning's Backstage Pass series, I'd recommend giving You Really Got Me a try.  Sexy, fun, rock-star goodness.

PJ new signature