TheLoveJunkee

Caught in a FAB Romance (@TheLoveJunkee)

Movie Review: Fifty Shades of Grey (and a giveaway!)

PJ header

Thursday night I went with my friend Mindie (and her mom, and her grandma!) to see Fifty Shades of Grey. I went into the theater planning to be critical and not let my soft spot for the books color my opinion of the movie, but honestly?  I surprised myself by really enjoying it.

I’m not going to go into the story line, I think the book has been around long enough that most of us know what it’s about, or at least have a general idea.

What I liked:

• Dakota Johnson – I was not happy when she was cast and expected to hate her as Anna Steele. Here’s me admitting I was wrong: She was fabulous! I wasn’t expecting her to be so funny and have a great sense of comedic timing. The audience laughed a lot and I was right there with them. She was my favorite part of the movie.
  •  Marcia Gay Harden – I didn’t look up the characters aside from Christian and Anna, so I had no idea MGH was Christian’s mother. She was perfectly cast and I enjoyed the few scenes she was in.
  • Their e-mails – I liked their electronic communication in the books, and it was cute in the movie: little boxes with their messages would pop up on screen.  Not distracting at all.
  • Anna’s wardrobe – I want her stylist! Mindie also commented on Anna’s great style (aside from her interview outfit, of course).
  • Jamie Dornan’s ass - *fans self* It was nice. As you’ll see below, I am not a fan of Jamie Dornan as Christian, but I am *definitely* a fan of his ass. I wonder if his ass has a twitter account…
  • The ‘negotiation’ scene – I enjoyed this scene; it showed Anna with a little backbone while still being humorous.

What I didn’t like:

• Jamie Dornan – Honestly, it seemed to me that he was phoning it in. His half-hearted use of the ‘toys’ in the playroom and his stilted delivery of the lines just didn’t work for me.
  • Luke Grimes as Christian’s brother Elliot – I don’t remember his character being a skeevy club-rat, but that’s how he came across in the movie. Mindie said he looked like a gas station attendant; I agree.
  • Lack of peen – Yeah, I said it. Seriously, we see Dakota Johnson’s breasts in probably 10 scenes; I could probably draw you a picture from memory, but not even a flash of his man-bits, aside from his butt (see #5 above) and some abdominal shots. For a movie so heavily targeted at females, this surprised me.
  • Some of the dialogue that worked for me in the book didn’t come across as well on screen. As Mindie said to me, they assumed the viewers had read the book so the holes would fill themselves (heh).

Let’s talk about sex, baby:

The first sex scene where he takes her upstairs to ‘take care of this little problem’ was hot. The other sex scenes were a little disappointing – her first spanking was lighter than a ‘love tap’ husbands give to their wives whenever their butt is in close range ;) There was nice use of the ties and ropes, but the flogger scene was half-hearted at best. Don’t get me wrong, Dakota Johnson did a wonderful job of appearing turned on and sexually excited, but Jamie Dornan didn’t seem to be very into her.

Final Thoughts:

I found myself noticing several times during the movie that Dakota Johnson has beautiful eyes.  And Jamie Dornan has weird fingernails.

But seriously, as you can see from my lists above I think that there were more positives than negatives. Is it going to win any awards? Probably not, but I enjoyed the movie and I’m glad I didn’t wait for it to come out on DVD; Fifty Shades of Grey is a movie that pairs perfectly with a girls’ night out, a few drinks, and a lot of fun.

Hey Parajunkee, if you want to go see it, I'll go again!! ~P

Young Adult Paranormal RomanceYoung Adult Paranormal RomanceYoung Adult Paranormal Romance

The Giveaway: Shades of Dornan

From film and TV critic Jo Berry comes the unauthorized biography of model-turned-actor Jamie Dornan, starring as Christian Grey in the wildly popular Fifty Shades of Grey film!
Jamie Dornan is quickly becoming a megastar. The announcement of his lead role in the upcoming movie adaptation of Fifty Shades of Grey caused a media frenzy and he has been hitting the headlines ever since. After English actor Charlie Hunnam stepped away from the role, Dornan was catapulted into the international spotlight. Previously a model for Calvin Klein alongside Kate Moss, he has appeared in Sofia Coppola’s Marie Antoinette, has dated Keira Knightley, was cast as the sheriff in the hit fantasy TV drama Once Upon A Time, and followed it up with an acclaimed leading performance in the TV thriller The Fall. With details compiled from in-depth research into both his personal and professional life, this insightful book will reveal fifty shades of Jamie Dornan—a no-holds-barred biography of the man who everyone wants to know intimately.

I have one copy of Shades of Jamie Dornan by Jo Berry courtesy of Gallery Books.  US only.  Enter via rafflecopter below:

a Rafflecopter giveaway