TheLoveJunkee

Caught in a FAB Romance (@TheLoveJunkee)

Deep by Kylie Scott

Deep (Stage Dive Series Book 4) - Kylie Scott
PJ header

PJV Quickie: Kylie Scott's Stage Dive series has been a favorite of mine since the first book, Lick. I have loved meeting each band member and reading their HEA. With Deep, however, I had a hard time liking both the hero and the heroine. Even so, I'm really sad that this is the last book in the series.

Review:

Lizzy Rollins is pregnant.  No matter how hard she tries to convince herself otherwise, the pink lines on the test tell her the truth. The truth is that her one-night stand with the gorgeous bassist in her brother-in-law's band has further-reaching consequences than she ever imagined it would; they used a condom, for pete's sake!  She knows Ben loves the rock-n-roll lifestyle and all that goes with it and has no expectation of him settling down to play 'happy family'.  She's going to have to go it alone and rely on her sister for moral and emotional support.  But first, she has to tell Ben.

Ben Nicholson is the bassist for the popular rock band, Stage Dive.  He likes Lizzy, she's sexy and smart and he can talk to her like a real person. He knows she wants him, but he knows he can't have her: she's his best friend's kid sister-in-law and therefore untouchable.  Until one night in Vegas when he just can't resist her any more.  But he's the bassist in a wildly popular band and a family isn't in his plans for his future...right?

~~~~~

I am a huge fan of Kylie Scott, both her NA series, Stage Dive, and her post-apocolyptic series, Flesh.  I have looked forward to each of her Stage Dive books with great anticipation and devoured them as soon as I could get my hands on them.  I dived right in to Deep, ready for Ben and Lizzy's story.

I have mixed feelings about Deep - on the one hand, I loved the scenes with the Stage Dive women:  they're strong, supportive, funny, and warm.  I love reading about women who have friendships like theirs.  The problem, though, is that I didn't really care for Ben or Lizzy:  they both came off as immature and selfish.  Ben just wanted to live the band lifestyle - no attachments and no obligations other than to the band. I really couldn't get past his poor treatment of Lizzy to wish these two a future together.  As for Lizzy, she was a frustrating character - she knew Ben didn't want a relationship but continued to pursue him, and then when he didn't want a relationship she was surprised. Really?

The scenes revolving around the rock-star lifestyle while the band was on tour were entertaining, and I did enjoy the story as it moved forward.  We got to see a lot of the previous couples - there were some funny scenes and some sweet scenes, and I love being back in the Stage Dive world.  A sexy new character from the opening band was introduced, and I hope this means that maybe there will be a spin-off series?  If so, I am totally on board.

Recommendations:

If you're already a fan, you'll appreciate the glimpses of the other couples. If you enjoy 'rock star romance', or angsty stories featuring stubborn characters, Deep is exactly what you've been looking for.  Fans of Olivia Cunning's Backstage Pass series will probably love this series.

PJ new signature