TheLoveJunkee

Caught in a FAB Romance (@TheLoveJunkee)

The Wanderer

The Wanderer - Robyn Carr

3 1/2 stars.  PJV Quickie: THE WANDERER was a sweet romance with engaging characters and a real “small town feel”. The pacing was a bit slow, but the story was intriguing and kept me reading until the end.

Review

Hank Cooper has been a wanderer most of his life: never-married, in his 30′s, moving from place to place and job to job as the mood strikes. He ends up in the small coastal town of Thunder Point, Oregon after he gets a mysterious message that his good friend and former army buddy Ben has died. When Cooper gets to Thunder Point, he’s surprised to find out Ben left him a ramshackle bait/tackle shop/bar/deli and the large chunk of beachfront property that surrounds it. While he’s sticking around town trying to figure out what to do with this unexpected inheritance, Cooper is drawn to the area and it’s inhabitants. Living out of his tiny camper is not good for long-term though, and he knows his time in Thunder Point is going to be short.

Sarah Dupre is a Coast Guard rescue pilot, currently stationed in Thunder Point. After her parent’s death when she was a young adult, she’s been caring for her brother Landon, now 17 and a junior at the local high school. She was briefly married to a philandering jerk who broke her heart and she’s still in the process of recovering. When fate throws Landon onto Cooper’s radar, Sarah rushes in to protect her brother from this “creep”, only to discover he seems like a pretty decent guy. Trust does not come easily for Sarah, though, and while she acknowledges there is some attraction there, she’s not going to open herself up to anything more.

______

This was my first book by Robyn Carr. I’ve been hearing raves about her Virgin River series so I was pretty excited when THE WANDERER was offered for review. Although this is apparently a spin-off of the popular series, I had no problem jumping into the story and was not confused about any of the characters or their history.

I have mixed thoughts about THE WANDERER: On the one hand, it was a compellingly readable story – the characters are engaging and the mystery was subtle enough that I didn’t see the answer until the author pointed me in the right direction. On the other hand, it moved a bit slowly; the two main characters didn’t even meet until almost halfway through the book! At about the halfway point things picked up and things really started moving.There are several storylines happening in THE WANDERER, and in addition to Cooper and Sarah’s POVs, we get the POV of several other characters, including Mac, the town cop, Gina, who works at the local diner, and Sarah’s brother Landon. While it sounds confusing, it really wasn’t and actually made this reader feel more like part of the story.

I wish THE WANDERER would have focused more on Cooper and Sarah, but the secondary characters were so well-written and charming that I’m looking forward to reading more in this series.

Recommendations

Filled with engaging characters and beautiful descriptions of local scenery, Contemporary Romance fans should find THE WANDERER quite entertaining.