TheLoveJunkee

Caught in a FAB Romance (@TheLoveJunkee)

True Devotion by Liora Blake

True Devotion (The True Series) - Liora Blake
PJ header

PJV Quickie: Coming off the high of True North, I was worried about the dreaded Sophomore Slump. I am happy to report this was not the case and I adored True Devotion!

Review:

You'd never guess now, but Devon Jenkins has lived a hard life.  She grew up in poverty, but since her brother Trevor's band (Trevor is the hero in True North) hit the big time, she's living in L.A. now.  She's turned her life around and gotten away from some bad decisions in her past - she's a massage therapist and she loves to bake in her spare time. She loves her brother and puts up with his band-mate, Simon. Does she have a thing for Simon?  Well, sure - Simon is hot, so hot, but he flirts with anything in a skirt.  So, no, she's going there and getting her heart broken.

Simon Cole is in Trevor's band, Trax.  He's had a thing for Devon, but he knows she's off limits because she's Trevor's sister.  Instead he takes what is offered by willing women, but they're nothing real for him - Devon could be.  When Devon offers him a drunken one-night stand after Trevor's wedding, Simon tells her no - not until she's ready to make it real.

~~~~~

I loved True North, the first book in this series, and couldn't wait to read cocky, flirty Simon's book. I wasn't too sure about Devon, as she seemed kind of angry and stand off-ish, but that really was not the case here. Once you understand her background and her feelings for her brother, her actions in True North make much more sense.

OMG y'all - Simon and Devon had CHEMISTRY: Simmering, smoldering, sensual chemistry. I loved the back-and-forth between these two, and how they both have a great sense of humor.  Their personalities were well-matched, and once they both decided to go for it, they were fabulous together.  Simon only had eyes for Devon, and all he wanted to do was make her happy.  Devon had a few bumps on the way - her past made her resistant to relationships and she didn't feel worthy of Simon's love and affection. And while I didn't understand her turn towards self-destruction, I do know that it happens in real life and it felt authentic to this reader.

True Devotion had a tiny bit more of the "rock star" life in it than True North did, and I enjoyed seeing the guys doing their thing. We also get to catch up with Trevor and Kate, so that was like seeing old friends again.  (Don't worry, it can be read as a stand-alone.) My only complaint with the story is that it followed the same type of story arc as True North, although the different characters were enough to keep it interesting for this reader.

Liora Blake is on my "writers to watch" list and I am excitedly looking forward to the third book in this series, True Divide, which will be out in October.

Is it October yet?

Recommendations:

Fans of rock-star romance will love True Devotion!  If you like Kylie Scott's Stage Dive series, or Erika Kelly's Rock Star Romance series should give this series a try.

PJ new signature