TheLoveJunkee

Caught in a FAB Romance (@TheLoveJunkee)

The Chance by Robyn Carr

PJ header

PJV Quickie: With strong lead characters and secondary characters that were interesting but didn't take the focus off the main characters, The Chance is my favorite book in the Robyn Carr's Thunder Point series so far.  I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue this series, but The Chance has convinced me to stick around and see what's next for the residents of this lovely seaside town.

Review:   Laine Carrington is an FBI agent who was injured in the line of duty and is taking a year off to recover and reorganize her priorities. She comes back to the sleepy little town of Thunder Point after she had been rescued by several of the town's residents during an undercover stint in a cult nearby.  She knows her time in Thunder Point is temporary, but what she didn't count on was meeting Eric, another newcomer to to the town, and forming an attraction that can't be denied.

Eric Gentry is a mechanic who owns his own garage and likes to restore classic cars. He went to prison when he was 19 for a robbery he didn't realize he was participating in. He's in Thunder Point now to be closer to his 17-year-old daughter, whom he just met last year.  When he sets eyes on the gorgeous new stranger he wants to get to know her better, but between  his new business and his "new" daughter, he doesn't have time for romance.

~~~~~~~~~~

First I should clarify I've read Books 1 & 2 but didn't realize there was a 3rd book before I started The Chance, so I missed the entire Cult story.  That being said, The Chance is my favorite in the series so far.  My biggest complaint with the other two books is that there was more than one couple's story at the forefront and I felt like that caused the books to feel spread thin.  With The Chance, the focus was on Laine and Eric, with most of the side stories being directly related to them.

Laine is an excellent character - she's tough and can handle herself but she's feminine too and I really liked that about her.  Strong female characters don't have to be bitches and Laine is a great example of that.  She's got issues with her family that pervade the story and  without going into spoilers I will say that Laine deals with issues facing a lot of adults today.

Eric is a great character who's reformed from his wild teenage years into a successful small-businessman.  He and Laine appear to be opposites but fit each other so well and their romance really worked for me.  There was a side-story involving Eric's employees that was sad but ultimately hopeful and I'm sure we'll get a better picture of how things worked out in the next book.

I do need to note that even though I read the first two books, I still found it difficult to keep up with all the characters.  I know the rating says 3.5 stars but really it's more like 3.75 stars.

Recommendations:  If you enjoy an opposites-attract story, small-town stories, or romance with characters who aren't in their twenties, The Chance may be a good match for you.

Other books you might like, similar to 'The Chance':