TheLoveJunkee

Caught in a FAB Romance (@TheLoveJunkee)

Rusty Nailed by Alice Clayton

Rusty Nailed - Alice Clayton
PJ header

PJV Quickie: Reading a book by Alice Clayton is like having a gabfest with your besties - hanging out with your girls, plenty of  laughs, and dishing about sex and how much your significant other makes you crazy... and makes you crazy *wink*.  It was so much fun to dive back into the world Ms. Clayton has created in her Cocktail series!

Review: I don't know why, but I didn't realize Rusty Nailed was a continuation of Simon and Caroline's story in Wallbanger (Cocktails #1 - my review here)... I thought it was going to feature their friends.  Don't get me wrong though, I loved it!  So many times the author finishes a couple's story and then that's it - their story is done.  But Rusty Nailed gives us a look at the journey to Simon and Caroline's HEA:  There are a few bumps and some lack of communication (don't worry - it's not a "Big Misunderstanding" trope, I promise) but reading these two grow and change was exciting (Caroline's job), sweet (Simon's assessment of his life goals), funny, and oh-so-sexy.  I like that we get to see how they're going to handle things as a couple and that cements their HEA for me.

Caroline has more responsibilities at work, and Simon has a life-altering visit to his home-town, resulting in him taking fewer jobs and being around like an old retired guy.  You'd think that would be boring, but I assure you, it's not - it was actually quite endearing and may have elicited a few "awwws" once I realized what was going on.  I like him even more than I did at the end of Wallbanger.

I'm pleased to say Alice Clayton does not suffer from "Sophomore Slump"; Rusty Nailed was like coming home to old friends and catching up on all the gossip that you missed while you were gone. I absolutely cannot wait for the next book, Screwdrivered, which features a different couple.

Recommendations: Fans of humorous Contemporary romance will adore this series (I think Rusty Nailed could work as a stand-alone but you get so much more if you start with Wallbanger).  If you like Penny Reid's Knitting in the City series, or Emma Chase's Tangled series, I'd suggest giving Alice Clayton a try.

PJ new signature