TheLoveJunkee

Caught in a FAB Romance (@TheLoveJunkee)

I Want It That Way by Ann Aguirre

PJ header

PJV Quickie: I wasn't sure what to expect when I heard Ann Aguirre was writing a New Adult series - that's sooo different from her other books!  I am happy to say I was not disappointed; I Want it That Way was a captivating story with an emotional touch that burrows its way in and squeezes your heart until it hurts.  I love it when a book affects me like that.

Review:

Nadia Conrad is a college junior working her way towards a degree in special education. She is moving into an off-campus apartment with three of her friends.  Daniel "Ty" Tyler is a single dad who lives in the apartment underneath Nadia.  The attraction between them is slow-moving, as Nadia is concentrating on school and her job at a local day-care, and Ty is concentrating on being a father, working during the day, and going to night classes.  I loved how they started talking to each other over the balcony and things reluctantly escalated from there.

I am such a sucker for a reluctant romance, and believe me, neither Nadia nor Ty wanted to fall in love.  There is no "bad boy" or "party girl" drama here, no external conflicts such as a serial killer or natural disaster, just the sweet, difficult, challenging relationship between two people who have too many obligations and not enough hours in the day. They were terrific together.  I should add that while I normally hate when kids are written into the story because inevitably they're annoying; that's not the case here: he's not precocious, just a regular kid who loves his dad and his daycare.

I also thought Nadia's roomies were pretty cool - Ms. Aguirre does a great job giving them interesting personalities and stories without taking over Nadia and Ty's story.  I am very much looking forward to the next book, As Long As You Love Me, which will be the story of her roommate Lauren and someone else I'm not going to spoil for you:)

Random:

Be warned - every time you pick up this book, or someone walks by while you're reading this book, expect to hear the Backstreet Boys' "I Want it That Way", either out loud or in your head.  Also, I don't know why she picked BSB titles for her books, I wasn't really a fan back in the day so maybe it would be obvious to a fan?

Recommendations:

I think if you like New Adult, or you want to try New Adult, this would be an enjoyable read for you.  Fans of reluctant romance or single-parent romance may also want to give this one a try.

PJ new signature