TheLoveJunkee

Caught in a FAB Romance (@TheLoveJunkee)

Shatter by Erin McCarthy

PJ header

PJV Quickie: I've consistently rated this series 4 stars, and Shatter is no different.  I love NA stories, and Erin McCarthy spins an entertaining tale - kind of dark but hopeful, with characters who don't give up when life gets hard.  I'm sorry this is the last book in the series, as it was a series I really enjoyed.

Review:

Kylie Warner has had a rough year - her boyfriend cheated on her and she moved out of her "dream apartment" with her best friends. Now she's living alone in a small apartment, failing her chemistry class, and avoiding the ex-boyfriend.  Little does she know that her one night with the sexy chemistry tutor is going to change her life, not just her grades.

When Kylie e-mails Jonathon "Darwin" Kadisch out of the blue to meet, he's expecting her to ask for more tutoring, not the news that he's going to be a father.  He's at a crossroads in his academic and professional life, but no matter what path he chooses he's determined to be a good dad, unlike his own father.

Shatter mainly focuses on Kylie and Darwin, and Ms. McCarthy did a great job of making them human - mostly great kids (early to mid-20s) who have some flaws. I hate "perfect" heroes or heroines and neither Kylie nor Darwin is perfect and they both say and do things that hurt the other.  We know Kylie from the previous books, but Darwin is a new character - he's a hot, tattooed nerd and I really liked him. His dad is pretty awful, but Darwin knows that and strives to be a better person because of it.

The characters from the previous books are here and it's nice to see what's going on with them.  Like the other books in this series, Shatter is a dark read for most of the book, there is one especially sad scene that is kind of graphic.  I am happy to say, however, that Shatter does end on a bright note and I was happy to see where things were headed with all 4 couples.

Recommendations:

Recommended for fans of NA who like lots of angst in their stories, a pregnancy storyline, and creepy teachers.  Also fans of the series will enjoy this last book.  I think Shatter could be read as a stand-alone as there is a pretty good recap, but all the characters might be confusing for a new reader.

PJ new signature